Facts About Domestic Violence and Violence Against Women
– 97 percent of domestic violence victims are women.
– Children raised in homes where there is domestic violence are abused at a rate of 1,500 times higher than the national average
– The average battered woman will leave her abuser an average of eight times before walking out for good.
– Every 9 seconds a woman is battered in the United States.
– A partner physically assaults over 4 million US women each year.
– Battery appears to be the single most common cause of injury to women, more common than auto accidents, muggings and rape combined.
– There are 3,800 animal shelters in the US, but only 1,200 shelters for battered women and their children.
– It is estimated that 51,000 women were killed by the men who supposedly loved them during the same time period of the Vietnam War where 58,000 men were killed.
– Every 11 days a woman is killed by her partner in the US.